October 20, 2008

Flu Shots!

Has anyone gotten flu shots for their kids this year? My doctor's office suggested the kind that they spray up their nose. So I read the paper, hadn't heard anything about them even, and went ahead and had Hunter get it. They said that it would last longer because it was a "live" virus instead of the shot which is the dead virus. Well about a week later he got the flu, and so far it has lasted 3 days now and he is still throwing up! Why do we get flu shots for them if they still get the flu and does anyone else think that the live virus one is a BAD idea!?! Now I have the flu too!

8 comments:

mare said...

oh i'm so sorry. first preggo nausea and then the real flu-- that truly sucks! hope you and hunter get better soon.
it was good and random to see you at the real game-- it was an awesome game wasn't it??

Amber said...

Oh no, that's awful. I'm so sorry. We have been religious about getting flu shots per our pediatrician's advice. Because our kids were premature, the flu could be life threatening to them.

If I remember right, Kaleb had the flu mist last time, and he had no problems. I thought it was fantastic because it lasts longer and it's not a shot! While it is a live virus it is weakened so most people aren't affected. That totally sucks that Hunter was one of the few that it did affect. And that is not good that you have the flu while being pregnant.

Oh, I'm so sorry. I can only imagine how miserable you must be feeling right now.

It's hard enough being pregnant.

It's hard enough caring for a sick child.

It's really hard to care for a child while being pregnant, let alone a sick child.

It's ridiculously hard to be pregnant, have the flu and take care of a sick child.

Hang in there. It can't last forever. I'll be thinking about you.

Lyndsi said...

Well, I got my kids their flu shots today. I think the shot is supposed to keep the "terrible" flu out that lasts for like two weeks or something like that. I remember hearing awhile ago that you still can get the 24 hour flu or such even with the shot. I'm sorry you have it though. Let me know if I can save you from Hunter or anything!

Erika Tebbs said...

We are suppose to get the flu mist in a few weeks, maybe we will opt out and get the shot instead. thanks for the warning...

Chelsea said...

oh I'm so sorry!! We haven't been in yet. I'm dreading it really. I hate shots. I thought my Doctor had told us that the nasal spray was for older kids, but if we get the choice, I think I'll take the shot!
Hope you guys feel better soon...

Elise said...

Jill! I'm so so sorry about you guys getting the flu. That's the worst, especially being pregnant! I hope it doesn't last long for both of you.
CONGRATULATIONS by the way! So exciting! My due date is the same as yours, April 15th, how fun! Is the pregnancy sickness getting any better for you? I hope you're feeling better soon, take it easy girl!

Crystal said...

I hope you both get feeling better soon! That is really hard. I am impressed you already took him in for the flu mist, I hadn't even thought about it yet.

Amber said...

So guess what? I got a flu shot on Wednesday and later that day my arm was sore and the injection site was red, swollen, and hot. I just thought it was a normal localized reaction. It happens every once in awhile. Well, the next day my shoulder started to hurt really bad and it just kept getting worse. Then I woke up last night from my shoulder hurting. It is a sharp, excrutiating pain. I finally couldn't even stand it anymore. Nothing I took helped. So I went to the instacare and they said I have an infection. Nice. Any time you break the skin you can get an infection, so lucky me, I got it thru that tiny needle hole. So they gave me antibiotics and lortab (yep, that's how badly it hurts) and said I should be feeling better in a couple of days. It's not as bad as getting the flu like you and Hunter, but it wasn't a good flu shot experience for me either. It made me think of you so I had to share. :)

TUNES